Whakatūturutanga whai painga
Verifications or letters of good standing
A verification letter, or letter of good standing involves information sharing between regulatory authorities. The letter, which you must request, contains details about your professional standing and is shared only between regulatory authorities.
'Professional standing' comments on your:
- qualifications leading to registration and the date achieved
- current Annual Practising Certificate(APC) status
- any conditions on your APC
- any fitness to practise issues, for example, competence, health, or conduct.
Verification letters are valid for a fixed period of time, after which point you may be asked to provide another.
1) New Zealand registered nurses who wish to register or practise overseas
When a nurse requires the Nursing Council to send a verification letter to another regulatory authority:
- You must log on to MyNC to request verification or a letter of good standing.
- You will need to complete the request form, including details of the authority the verification is being sent to.
- There is a fee of $70 for the verification which can be paid by credit card (Visa or MasterCard).
- You'll receive an email confirming your verification of good standing has been completed and processed. This can be tracked through your MyNC account on the 'Interactions' tab.
- The verification or letter of good standing is sent directly to the regulatory body named in the request.
Note: The Council no longer completes verification forms from regulatory authorities. we use our own form which is completed and sent via email.
2) New Zealand registered nurses practising overseas looking to return to New Zealand and apply for an Annual Practising Certificate (APC)
When you want to return to practise in New Zealand:
- You will need to complete an application for an APC.
- We will contact you and request a verification of good standing.
- You'll need to request this from the overseas regulatory body you were practising with.
- In most instances this letter of good standing will be sent directly from the regulatory body to the Council.
For more information, please email [email protected]